Sunday, February 23, 2014

Color Spotlight: Joyful Expectation



I have been waiting for February to come along so I could write about this, and here it is almost gone! It's been fun to showcase pieces for each of the beautiful pearl colors that we offer, but I have been particularly excited to share about Dark Purple- representing February's birthstone, amethyst.

First, it's just plain pretty (but really all the colors are if I do say so myself, thankyouverymuch!), but what's especially exciting is what I learned about the color purple.

It all started when a friend of mine wanted to design a nest for her sister-in-law who has been waiting, and waiting, and waiting... and WAITING for their referral for their child(ren) from Ethiopia. And I will tell you, this family has been waiting. They have fought for joy in the waiting. They have fought for greater faith in the waiting, but my friend just couldn't wait any longer to give her sweet sister-in-law a gift that would honor that wait and anticipation- about 3 years' worth to be exact!

You see, the fact is, that adoptive parents still labor even when they aren't birthing their children. Their labor is in the gestation period. They wait, and pray, and agonize over when they will see the face(s) of the ones they love. They are parents before they are parents because the children are born in their hearts.

As I worked with my friend to figure out how to design a nest that this sweet mama could wear, the thought occurred to me to look up if there was a certain color that represented waiting or something like that.

There was a lot about green being connected to "the green room" meant for actors waiting to go on stage, and that seemed, well, silly. But then I came across this asking the question:

What color represents waiting and joyful expectation? 


Purple.

Perfect. We worked together to design a nest what represented her children as well as include a Dark Purple pearl to represent the child(ren) that they are waiting for. Absolutely beautiful. Of course it was during the Christmas season when I was making a lot of orders so that one in particular didn't get its picture taken, but it was one of my most special ones to make. When I have a chance I'll probably be making myself one with purple in it to honor our own child that we wait for.

What a joy it is to honor the labor of waiting! Soon I will be able to share some updates from some of our Featured Families about some of their waiting coming to an end, but for now, we can remember the struggle, and the joy that all adoptive parents face as they wait with joyful expectation for their prayers to be answered.






No comments:

Post a Comment